Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Inkwell

I have been doing a mess of sightseeing these past few days; I will update these sights in one go, soon. I do have a short review of sorts of a great restaurant that I went to, yesterday. I would have made the post then, but I fell asleep when I got back to the hotel... perhaps from eating too much?

The restaurant is call L'Encrier (the inkwell)... it is at 55 Rue Traversière, 12e; metro Ledru Rollin or Gare de Lyon... it is easy to find. I arrived before the place opened (it was 7 pm, and it opens at 7:30), but the gracious host told me to sit and wait there... he brought me a carafe of water and some amuse gueule, consisting of little toasts with tapenade. When the ordering was in order, I ordered l'assiette du sud-oest, which turned out to be salad with walnuts, a chunk of foie gras, and smoked duck breast... superb. Next, I had "bar entier grille", which is a fish, like a very big trout, and delicious. It came with lovely deep fried potatoes and zucchini cooked with a hint of cumin. I washed this all down with a half-litre of red from Anjou (I know, I know, red with fish? but it went very well). For dessert, I crammed in sorbet pamplemousse, which is made in-house and is exquisite. I waddled away from the restaurant, quite content.

Well, that's it for now... stay tuned for more fascinating drivel from me... your foreign correspondant... speaking of being in another place... it is taking me a bit to get used to the French keyboard, handy if you want accented vowels, but a bugger if you are used to a North American keyboard...

2 comments:

claudio said...

Without a doubt, one of the highlights of travel is sampling the foods. As I sit here munching on my corn chips and drinking my Gatorade I can only be envious. C'est temp pour manger beaucoup mon ami. Il fait parte de la joie de vivre.

filmguy said...

Claudio: you'll be in the land of abundance, soon! (Rosella's place... all others, see entry under "Canale"). Nice to hear from you... ciao for now!