Sunday, July 27, 2008

All Canale All The Time!

I am in Canale Monterano and having a great time. Today, we had more food than is humanly possible to eat in a lunch that lasted 4 hours. [pictures to follow... still having trouble downloading] Antipasti, two kinds of lasagne [one was expected to eat both], roast lamb, roast chicken [same as lasagne], salad, a selection of tortes [sour cherry, apricot, and I am not sure what was on the third one, as I got away with only eating two pieces]. All this was accompanied by wine by the gallon... red, white, and sparkling, as well as grappa, limoncello, and walnut liqueur from Croatia... oh, and coffee and sparkling water. I am becoming a much more rounded Peter... luckily, we do spend a lot of time walking around... yesterday, we went to Rome and toured the city on foot... we being Claudio [see picture from earlier Canale post], Claudio's son, Adrian, and me. We visited the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, Campo di Fiori, Piazza Navona, and the Colloseum/ Forum... then went home for a crazy big pizza dinner, courtesy of Tullio, Claudio's cousin [the one that owns the bakery, not the other cousin Tullio... and not to be confused with his brother Tullio]... I ate a lot of pizza... if I hadn't, it would have been noted and would have shamed me, somehow.

Right now, after typing, it is time for a wander around town... in the vain hope that some of the pizza and pasta and stuff will get burned off. 

Tomorrow, Claudio and I are going to see Leonard Cohen in Rome... it should be a dandy show... I'll let you know... ciao!

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I always get so hungry reading about your meals in Canale!

Hope you and Claudio have fun at the concert; say hi to Leonard for me!