Friday, August 8, 2008

And Now... Frankfurt

The last little bit of my trip seems to be taking on a bit of "if it is Friday, this must be Rome" sort of feel, at least in the blogosphere, but I swear it doesn't feel that way in person, although I must express alarm at the speed at which it has gone by... I will be back in Prince George in three days... hard to imagine as I listen to the bells on the cathedral here in Frankfurt strike for 4 o'clock... I've had a good time, so far. I went to the Liebiegshaus Gallery yesterday, which is the notably good sculpture museum here. Last evening, I hooked up with my friends Martin and Arabella, as well as Martin's roommate, Matthias, for some good old Swabian cooking, courtesy of Martin [who hails from the great state of Swabia, Tübingen, to be precise]... he made spaetzl with cheese, one of his specialties. We drank a bit of wine and had icecream and fruit salad for dessert.

Today, I went to the German Film Museum and the German Architecture Museum, conveniently located right next to one another... a great feature of Frankfurt is that the majority of this city's museums are located on one stretch, the Museumsufer, along the Main River, which makes getting to them and navigating around quite easy... one just gets there and decides whether fine art, sculpture, communications, film, or a whole host of other options appeals. Anywho, the Film museum had a special exhibit on Japanese animation, which was well presented. The permanent exhibit on the history of film was delightful, as always, [I've visited a few times, I must admit], but some of the items were a little dusty... get in their with a swiffer, please folks... the architecture museum had a number of exhibits, one in particular was striking: it is a display on outsider art that features architectural detail... that is, when someone a little out there designs a new world or city or state for themselves and draws it... the show is called Heterotopia and features, particularly, Willem van Genk, who makes these marvelous contraptions [he was a clockmaker by trade] for his free state. Many of the artists featured are, were, or have been in psychiatric institutions. His stuff reminded me a little of Henry Darger, about whom the movie In the Realms of the Unreal was made.

Well, I am off to go with Martin and Arabella to a friend of their's birthday party... I will let you know what happens.

Oh, and one correction... I had a brain freeze in my post about Vienna... it is spelled Grüss Gott...

No comments: