Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sandwiches and Proust

The CBC [Canadian Broadcorping Castration... whoops, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation] has a show called "Sounds Like Canada" [which, if I heard Kevin Sylvester correctly, is going to be cancelled in the next couple of weeks!... what is up with these people... don't they know that, to quote a person close to me, "change is bad"?], and on that show messages from listeners are being played, detailing the sandwiches they consider delicious... after a few episodes traditional niceties were left behind, and now we are hearing about such delights as peanut butter and bologna, mustard and garlic, red onion and a variety of substances, et cetera, ad nauseum... but only because this listener is not the originator of the sandwich causing the slight rising of the bile. I am sure that, to each of the presenters, these concoctions are truly tasty and comforting [I must confess a liking for cheddar cheese and raspberry jam sandwiches, which, while mild on the disgust-o-meter, have elicited groans from others when offered as a dandy option]. One common denominator seems to be that, to a person, the peculiarly arranged alchemy of these productions was arrived at while still relatively young... bringing to mind the Proust maxim, "what is patriotism but the love of [I've also heard "memory of"] good things one ate in childhood." I'm not sure that an army could be mounted on the basis of a shared love of alfalfa sprouts and raisins on whole wheat [or even the simple madeleine, the biscuit of Proust's longing for temps perdu], but I do know that I will eat a great variety of foods I've been eating since young that, if I were introduced to them as an adult, I would find disgusting... or at least uninteresting. Most of these, for me, fit in the uninteresting category, macaroni and cheese [the packaged kind, of course] with a lot of Heinz's Ketchup on it, or wheat-puff chocolate squares... both of which I enjoy, but wouldn't eat now if I hadn't eaten them then... unless necessary for politeness' sake.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

WTF! They're cancelling Sounds Like Canada??? It just got GOOD because Kevin Sylvester kicks ass (no offense to Shelagh Rogers).

You know what, speaking of foods that recall fond memories, there is a dish called chap chai (no idea how to spell it) that my Chinese-Indonesian granny used to make--it's got mixed vegetables, cellophane noodles, mushrooms, bananaflowers, cloud ear fungus, and bean curd skin. I'm sure Mom would make it if I asked, but Granny's version was special. She used to make big batches of it and I would take it with me to university and put it in the freezer so I could enjoy it over the semester. Mmm. Maybe that's my madeleine.